The first was Creativity: finding new and innovative ways to incorporate healthy foods into my lifestyle, regardless of which eating plan I choose, and trying interesting and fun avenues for exercise.
This week I have been traveling and have been outside my structured environment and routine that has thus far kept me on track. With challenges ahead, I focused on the virtue of Perseverance.
Look! There’s a pastry!
This has been a working vacation, which means I needed to be online. We have been staying with my husband’s daughter and her family and they don’t have Internet access in their home. I needed a place where I could spend several hours working, be relatively comfortable, have healthy food options and Internet. Voilà – Panera Bread.
Ahhh, the fresh salads and soups! Oh no – the scones, tarts, cookies, muffins and pastries! These were my weakness! Let me tell you I was tempted a few times (“I’ve been good for so long – why not 1 scone?”). I spent 5 full days in Panera (yes they looked at me strangely), and managed to get out with my calorie intake in tact – thanks to Perseverance!
- Read the Perseverance card over and over on my Virtues Reflection card iPhone app
- Used Mindfulness and Discernment by pausing, taking deep breaths and asking myself “how would that feel to give in now?”
- Connected to the Divine through Grace and asked for strength
- Really felt my Gratitude for the progress I had made so far
- Distracted myself from cravings by being Purposeful and focusing on my work.
- Was Orderly and prepared, keeping protein bars and healthy snacks nearby, and had several meals planned out.
It will be good to be home and back to my routine, where decisions are easier and there are no cookies lurking just feet away from me. But I am grateful for this chance to strengthen my Perseverance. Now I know I can do it, so it takes away future excuses for giving in.