Who we are
The Virtues Circle is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to inspiring others to live by universal virtues in their daily lives to promote tolerance, unity, integrity and joy. Our mission is to inspire happiness and purpose through the practice of virtues.
What we do
We educate others on how to cultivate and develop their character strengths through workshops on the 5 Strategies of The Virtues Project™ .
The Virtues Project™?
The Virtues Project™ is a global grassroots initiative to inspire the practice of virtues in everyday life. It is endorsed by the United Nations and the Dalai Lama and is a model program for families and communities of all cultures and beliefs.
The 5 Strategies are founded on the belief that we are born with all the virtues in potential, and that when parents and educators help cultivate the virtues in children, we can change the world.
The 5 Strategies in Personal and Global Transformation
Linda Kavelin Popov, one of the founders of The Virtues Project, shares how the strategies can be used as personal and global transformation.
What are the 5 strategies of The Virtues Project™?
- Speak the Language of the Virtues - Use language to encourage and inspire. We can acknowledge, guide, and correct using Virtues based language, calling others to the best aspects already within them.
- Recognize Teachable Moments - Turn mistakes into opportunities for learning. Instead of criticizing, name calling or punishing, use difficulties as an opportunity to strengthen in a particular virtue. Using restorative justice instead of punitive justice allows for amends to be made and understanding to grow.
- Set Clear Boundaries - Create an atmosphere of peace and safety by setting boundaries that are clear, specific, measurable and observable. Have relevant meaningful consequences that inspire mastery.
- Honor the Spirit - Take time to be mindful and reverent with yourself and others, remembering that we are all human beings, not human doings.
- Offer Companioning - Learn how to be a discerning, compassionate listener and allow others to access their own inner wisdom. Be a guide not a dictator with children, empowering them to access the best of themselves.
How can I learn more?
Contact Us about having a custom workshop brought to your group! E-mail email@example.com or call (727) 421-1550.
Cathy Burns, M.S. is the founder and President of Virtues Circle and a Master Facilitator for The Virtues Project™. She has a masters degree in Management Information Systems and bachelor degrees in psychology and engineering. She became a Facilitator for The Virtues Project™ in 2012 and a Master Facilitator in 2016. She has over 8 years experience in corporate training and facilitation. She is passionate about how practicing the Virtues in our everyday lives can lead to a more fulfilling, meaningful and rewarding life. She is dedicated to teaching others how to incorporate the strategies of The Virtues Project™ into their home, school and community. She lives in St. Petersburg, FL with her husband and several furry felines.
Jessi Smith is a Board Member for Virtues Circle. She has a M.A. in Psychology from the University of South Florida, St. Petersburg. She has worked in non-profit since 2013 and is familiar with the needs and resources of the Pinellas County community. Currently she is a Program Evaluation Specialist at the St. Petersburg Free Clinic, and brings her knowledge of outcomes measurement to Virtues Circle. Jessi believes the practical and strength-based tools taught in Virtues Circle workshops can help people build resiliency and hope.
Ellen Menna is a Director for the Virtues Circle. After being a stay at home mom for 9 years, she has worked in the medical field for the last 14 years. She is an Administrative Assistant for a condominium association and has served on another non-profit board. Ellen has been attending the Virtues Circle weekly meetings since its inception. She believes the practice of the virtues has helped her heal and be more compassionate. She lives in St. Petersburg, FL.
Jessica Scott is the Treasurer for the Virtues Circle. She brings her experience as an Executive Director and Chairperson of another non-profit, as well as expertise in management and bookkeeping. After attending an introductory seminar on using virtues strategies in everyday life, she saw the benefit of virtues based living and how this can impact individuals, families and societies. Jessica is passionate about being of service and helping make the world a better place.